The natuRO group is headed by Prof. Catalin Buiu who supervises a number of 4 Ph.D. students (Gabriel Tirlea, Roxana Dava, Irina Petre, Mihai Gansari). Andrei Florea has defended his Ph.D. thesis in July 2018 and is working as a Teaching Assistant. We are active in the following research areas:
- application of natural computing techniques to solving engineering problems, like the development of automatic techniques for detection of meteors;
- development of bioinspired mechanisms for robot control, security of robot swarms, and human-robot interaction;
- brain-computer interfaces;
- computational biology: modeling and simulation of HIV glycoproteins, computational mutagenesis, neuropsychopharmacology.
Recent and ongoing grants:
- Audio-video station for automatic detection of meteors, UEFISCDI Partnerships Grant, 2012-2015, 300.000 lei, Responsible for UPB: Catalin Buiu;
- Development of biologically inspired integrated cognitive architectures, CNCS Ideas Grant, 2008-2011, 475.000 lei, Principal Investigator: Catalin Buiu.
Recent publications (IF=Impact Factor, RIS=Relative Influence Score). More details on catalin.buiu.net.
- C. Buiu, C. Vasile, O. Arsene. Development of membrane controllers for mobile robots, Information Sciences (IF = 2.833, RIS=1.29301), Vol. 187, March 2012, pp. 33-51, doi:10.1016/j.ins.2011.10.007, ISSN 0020-0255, 2012;
- Speranta Avram, C. Buiu, F. Borcan, Adina Milac. More effective antimicrobial mastoparan derivatives, generated by 3D QSAR-Almond and computational mutagenesis, Molecular BioSystems (IF=3.825, RIS=1.54137), Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 587-594, doi:10.1039/c1mb05297g, 2012;
- Speranta Avram, C. Buiu, D. Duda-Seiman, C. Duda-Seiman, F. Borcan, D. F. Mihailescu. Evaluation of the pharmacological descriptors related to the induction of antidepressant activity and its prediction by QSAR/QRAR methods, Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry (IF=2.62, RIS=1.90955), Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 467-476, 2012;
- Ana Pavel, C. Buiu. Using enzymatic numerical P systems for modeling mobile robot controllers, in press, doi: 10.1007/s11047-011-9286-5, Natural Computing (IF=N/A, RIS=N/A), 2012;
- C. Vasile, C. Buiu. A software system for collaborative robotics applications and its application in particle swarm optimization implementations, Applied Soft Computing (IF = 2.084, RIS=1.11183), Volume 11, Issue 8, pp. 5498-5507, December 2011, doi:10.1016/j.asoc.2011.05.009, ISSN 1568-4946, 2011;
- O. Arsene, C. Buiu, Nirvana Popescu. SNUPS – A Simulator for Numerical Membrane Computing, International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control (IF = 1.664, RIS=0.35179), Volume 7, Number 6, June 2011, pp. 3509-3522, ISSN 1349-4198, 2011;
- C. Buiu, Nirvana Popescu. Aesthetic Emotions in Human-Robot Interaction. Implications on Interaction Design of Robotic Artists, International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control (IF=1.664, RIS=0.35179), Volume 7, Number 3, March 2011, pp. 1097-1108, ISSN 1349-4198, 2011;
- C. Buiu, O. Arsene, Corina Cipu, Monica Patrascu. A software tool for modeling and simulation of numerical P systems, BioSystems (IF=1.478, RIS=0.86042), Vol. 103, Issue 3, pp. 442-447, doi: 10.1016/j.biosystems.2010.11.013, 2011;
- Ana Pavel, C. Buiu. Development of an embedded artificial vision system for an autonomous robot, International Journal of Innovative Computing, Computing Information and Control (IF=1.664, RIS=0.35179), ISSN 1349-4198, Volume 7, Number 2, February 2011, pp. 745-762, 2011;
- Ana Lucia Pais, Andreea Moga, C. Buiu. An integrated framework for emotion recognition and expression using robot artists, ICIC Express Letters, Part B: Applications, Vol. 1, No. 2, Dec. 2010, pp. 169-174, ISSN 2185-2766, 2010;
- Ana Lucia Pais, Andreea Moga, C. Buiu. Emotions and robot artists: state-of-the-art and research challenges, BMIF – Mathematics, Informatics, Physics Series, Vol. LXII, No. 1, pp. 26-40, ISSN 1224-4899, 2010;
- Speranta Avram, C. Buiu, D. Duda-Seiman, Corina Duda-Seiman, D. F. Mihailescu. 3D-QSAR design of new escitalopram derivatives for the treatment of major depressive disorders, Scientia Pharmaceutica, Vol. 78, Issue 2, pp. 233-248, doi:10.3797/scipharm.0912-22, 2010;
- C. Buiu. Integrated System for Stereoscopic Cognitive Vision, Localization, Mapping, and Communication with a Mobile Robot, International Journal of Computers, Communications & Control (IJCCC) (IF = 0.65), Vol. IV, No. 2, pp. 104-113, ISSN 1841-9836, 2009;
- C. Buiu. Design and evaluation of an innovative online motion control learning package, IEEE Transactions on Education (IF = 1.157, RIS=0.57681), Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 385-393, 2009;
- C. Buiu. Hybrid educational strategies for a laboratory course on cognitive robotics, IEEE Transactions on Education (IF = 1.157, RIS=0.57681), vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 100-107, 2008.
B. Peer-reviewed full-length conference papers
- C. Buiu. Hybrid educational strategies for a laboratory course on cognitive robotics, IEEE Transactions on Education (IF = 1.157, RIS=0.57681), vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 100-107, 2008;
- C. Buiu, A.B. Pavel, C. Vasile, I. Dumitrache. Perspectives of using membrane computing in the control of mobile robots, Proceedings of Extended Abstracts Presented at The International Conference Beyond AI: Interdisciplinary Aspects of Artificial Intelligence, Pilsen, Czech Republic, December 8–9, 2011, pp. 21-26, 2011;
- C. Vasile, A.B. Pavel, C. Buiu. Integrating human swarm interaction in a distributed robotic control system, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (IEEE CASE 2011), Trieste, 24-27 August, doi: 10.1109/CASE.2011.6042493, ISSN 2161-8070, 2011;
- C. Vasile, A.B. Pavel, C. Buiu. Chidori – a bio-inspired cognitive architecture for collective robotics applications, Preprints of IFAC Workshop on Intelligent Control Systems, Sinaia, Romania, September 29 – October 1, pp. 52-57, ISBN 978-3-902661-89-0, 2010;
- A.B. Pavel, O. Arsene, C. Buiu. Enzymatic Numerical P Systems – a New Class of Membrane Computing Systems, The IEEE Fifth International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computing: Theories and Applications (BIC-TA 2010), ISBN 978-1-424464-37-1, Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool, United Kingdom, September 8 – 10, pp. 1331-1336, doi: 10.1109/BICTA.2010.5645071, 2010;
- D. Dichiu, Ana Lucia Păiş, Sunita Andreea Moga, C. Buiu. A Cognitive System for Detecting Emotions in Literary Texts and Transposing them into Drawings, Proc. of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC 2010), IEEE Catalog Number CFP10SMC-CDR, ISBN 978-1-4244-6587-3, ISSN 1062-922X, Istanbul, October 10-13, pp. 1958-1965, 2010.